Friday, September 4, 2009

The Beginning of a New Adventure...




     This blog is the beginning of a whole new adventure looking into the trials and tribulations, the highs and lows and the challenges of being a children’s book illustrator... the adventure of drawing the impossible in a way that brings it alive.
     I need a place to share sketches, work through ideas and promote myself to a wider world.  I hope you will enjoy what you find in these pages.
     Like any grand adventure, this one has to begin with a single step... or in this case, a single page from my sketchbook, coloured in Photoshop as I play with my tablet.  
     I already know that the “DELETE” button can be both a blessing and a curse.  One of the reasons that I switched to sketching in pen after the SCBWI conference in Los Angeles last summer was because of one speaker who challenged us to get away from the fear of making mistakes that can hold so many of us back from truly chasing our dreams and finding our path.  It will take some time not to be incredibly fussy about getting things “right” with the tablet when so much of my life has been spent drawing and colouring things by hand.
     What is the point of going on an adventure if you aren’t willing to learn new things, explore new horizons and stumble once or twice along the way?  Time to just step out onto the path and explore!     

2 comments:

  1. Lookin' great, Jen! (Love that illustration!) Good luck with your new project!
    And thanks for the shout out, too! :)

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea Jen! Good luck, I look forward to reading about your journey!

    ReplyDelete